Scotchies Jamaica is the best place to go to if you are looking for authentic jerk cuisine. Ask any Jamaican about their favourite jerk spots and more than likely Scotchies will be on their list.
Jerk is a method of cooking meat, usually chicken, and pork; however, you can also jerk goat, fish, and other meats.
If you go to the Jamaican Jerk Festival in Port Antonio you will have the opportunity to experience a wide variety of jerk cuisine in the original home of Jerk.
Typical jerk entails using a marinade or paste that includes pimento, scotch bonnet, and other spices. The meat is then slow cooked over pimento wood to give it a smoky flavour.
A bit about Scotchies Jamaica
Scotchies is a decidedly rustic restaurant. It is strictly for casual dining, the quality of the food is the main attraction. Expect to see barrel chairs surrounding wooden tables under thatch roofs.
All Scotchies Restaurants have a bar where you can enjoy some typical Jamaican drinks.
There is usually Jamaican music playing in the background. An added bonus is you can watch the chefs prepare the Jerk meat.
Scotchies Jamaica Locations
There are three Scotchies restaurants in Jamaica. Scotchies Ocho Rios, Scotchies Montego Bay, and Scotchies Kingston. They all have the same menu.
Scotchies Montego Bay is the original location; some people say it is the best.
Scotchies Jamaica Ocho Rios
Scotchies Ocho Rios is located in Drax Hall which is around 15 minutes from Ocho Rios. If you are staying at such hotels as Riu Ocho Rio or Jewels Dunns River it’s around 5 minutes away.
If you are staying in Runaway Bay or Discovery Bay it will be a 20-30 minute drive.
St. Anns Bay
Scotchies Jamaica Montego Bay
Scotchies Montego Bay is located in Coral Gardens, just off the main highway. It is just across from the Holiday Inn. If you are staying at any hotels in the Rosehall area or the Riu Montego Bay hotels Scotchies is a 15-minute drive.
Scotchies Jamaica Kingston
Scotchies Kingston is located in the Manor Park area just beside the Constant Spring Golf Course.
These hotels are around 15 – 20 minutes away. The hotels are the Pegasus, The Courtyard at the Marriott, The Courtleigh, Terra Nova, Altamont Court and the Spanish Court Hotel.
Scotchies Jamaica Menu
- Jerk Chicken – The jerk chicken is usually served in quarter or half chicken.
- Jerk Pork – You can order this mouth watering pork by the pound.
- Jerk Pork and Chicken Sausage – Enjoy your sausages with a Jamaican Twist.
- Ribs – Enjoy a rack of Barbecue ribs Jamaican style.
- Fish – Scotchies offers Roast fish with a variety of Jamaican spices.
- Bammy – Bammy is a traditional flatbread made with cassava. It was a staple of the arawaks, the original inhabitants of Jamaica. The bammy is usually fried or steamed.
- Festival – This is similar to a hush puppy. It is dough that consists of flour and cornmeal with sugar added. It is usually fried.
- Roast Yam – Roast yam is a type of starch.
- Hardough Bread – This is a type of bread that is very common in Jamaica. The bread is a bit more dense than your typical sliced bread.
- Roast Breadfruit – Breadfruit is another Jamaican starch
- Plantain – Is a larger version of a ripe banana. In Jamaica it can be fried, baked or boiled. The plantain can also be eaten green.
- Rice and Peas – Rice and Peas is a typical Jamaican dish. It consist of rice cooked in coconut milk, with spices and peas added. Jamaican usually use gungo peas or red peas.
- Sweet Potato – The Jamaican sweet potato is not as sweet as its American counterpart. It is a bit more starchy than the American sweet potato.
Scotchies Jamaica Prices
Scotchies prices are very reasonable. It is one of the reasons why it is so popular amongst locals. The prices for the main dishes range from US $4 to US $17.
Typical Jamaican Drinks
All Scotchies locations have a bar in the dining area. They serve the typical drinks such as Coke, Sprite etc. However if you would like to try a few drinks common to Jamaica here are a few suggestions:
Red Stripe Beer: Red Stripe is the premier beer brand in Jamaica. You can also try their Red Stripe Lite, The lemon flavoured beer or the Sorrel flavoured beer
Appleton Rum: If you are not driving you can try our premier rum with a mixer of coke or Ting.
Ting: Ting is a very popular grapefruit flavoured soda.
Ginger Beer: This soda is made with Jamaican ginger.
Coconut Water: If you want a healthy alternative, try some coconut water.
Other Jamaican Jerk Outlets and Jerk Festivals
Jamaica is the home of Jerk so why not try some other jerk locations if you have the time. A few locations that come to mind are the Ultimate Jerk Center, The Jerk Pit, and the Ocho Rios Jerk Center.
Also, ask locals what are their favourite jerk vendors. You will probably find a few hidden gems.
Jamaica also has Jerk festivals. You can try different jerk meats and experience a music concert. The Montego Bay Jerk Festival will be held in August. The popular Portland Jerk Festival will be held in July.
Do you want information on attractions, travel deals and events in Jamaica?
Join Our mailing list!